DescriptionBetween 1912 and 1926, the renowned architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White created what is now the Leon Levy and Shelby White Court for Hellenistic and Roman Art. The patterns seen in our bold bangle is based on the intricate neoclassical mosaics from the court's original designs.
Black glass and mother-of-pearl. 8'' inner circumference.
- Black glass and mother-of-pearl
- 8'' inner circumference
Art HistoryThe centerpiece of the Metropolitan Museum’s display of Greek and Roman art is the Leon Levy and Shelby White Court for Hellenistic and Roman Art. This dramatic space occupies a skylit atrium created between 1912 and 1926 by the renowned architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White. The spacious court, originally designed to evoke the garden of a large Roman villa, has been transformed through the addition of a second story and a dazzling colored marble floor. On view in the court’s center are important Roman sculptures created between the first century B.C. and the third century A.D. that demonstrate a range of materials, styles, and subject matter.