At the World’s Columbian Exposition, held in Chicago in 1893, Tiffany & Co. occupied an exhibition space, but Louis Comfort Tiffany (American, 1848–1933) himself also received an area to display his own works of art. Of these, the most ambitious was the chapel, which has been reinstalled in The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art. A sizable structure, approximately 39 feet long, 23 feet wide, and rising to a height of 24 feet, the chapel displayed the great breadth of works that he and his company could create. Set upon the uppermost retable (or, raised step) on the chapel’s marble and mosaic altar was a gold and jeweled encrusted cross, now lost. The Museum’s bookmark is based on the replacement by Louis Comfort Tiffany of the original cross. Produced in cooperation with the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art, Winter Park, Florida.
Silver overlay. Hand enameled. 2 1/2''L x 2 1/4''W.