DescriptionGlass mosaics by Louis Comfort Tiffany (American, 1848–1933), a concept he adapted from Roman and Byzantine art, were a natural extension of his work in Favrile glass. A brilliant example in the Museum’s collection, produced about 1890–91 by the Tiffany Glass Company, is a panel bearing a stylized flowering plant assembled from colorful glass tesserae. This decorative panel was the prototype for a frieze that once lined the entrance to the Havemeyer house in New York. Our spirited watch design is adapted from a chevron motif on the original panel.
18K gold overlay, hand enameled. Quartz movement. Imported. Hinged with a magnetic closure. 1 1/8''W; inner circumference: 7 1/2''.
- 18K gold overlay, hand enameled
- Hinged with a magnetic closure
- Quartz movement
- 1 1/8''W; inner circumference: 7 1/2''
Art HistoryOne of America’s most acclaimed artists, Louis Comfort Tiffany’s (American, 1848¬1933) career spanned from the 1870s through the 1920s. He embraced virtually every artistic and decorative medium, designing and directing his studios to produce leaded-glass windows, mosaics, lamps, glass, pottery, metalwork, enamels, jewelry, and interiors. Of all of his creative endeavors, stained glass brought Louis Comfort Tiffany the greatest recognition. His Favrile glass, patented in 1881, was internally colored with variegated shades of color or hues which created a milky, opaque, and sometimes rainbow- hued appearance when light shone through it. Unusual effects were created by introducing textures and adding different layers of glass or plating.