A graceful quatrefoil pattern on a small rectangular reliquary plaque (ca. 1175–1200) in the Museum’s collection is the basis for the design of our lovely bangle watch. Beautifully crafted in champlevé and cloisonné enamel and gilded copper by master goldsmiths, the original plaque was likely once part of an ornate church shrine that housed relics associated with local saints. Fragments are often all that remain of these monumental religious objects, as many were dismantled or destroyed following the secularization of church property in the nineteenth century.
18K gold overlay, hand enameled. Quartz movement. Hinged with a magnetic closure. 1 1/8''W; inner circumference: 7 1/2''.